Cup of Tea and a Blog

Welcome to my spot for musing about all things tea. Here you'll read reviews of quality teas, click through comments on tea rooms and shops I've visited, and see photos of leaves and cups. You’ll also find things I might talk about over a cup of tea, like philosophy, literature, current events, or fun ways to pass the time.

Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, United States

Please see my current blog at http://www.meltingteapot.com

01 July 2005

Hot Jam & Puerh

Found myself sipping absent-mindedly at a nice and earthy loose pu-erh (Meng Hai 1994 from Jing Tea) around noon today, and I realized that my stomach was growling for some lunch. So, I grabbed a packet of crackers, some cream cheese, and a small jar of extra hot pepper jam (purchased at a local farmer's market).

I smeared some cream cheese on the cracker, topped it with a dollop of jam, and popped it in my mouth. Ooof -- the jam packs quite a punch! I love spicy food and have a high threshold for heat (my years in New Mexico toughened me up), but the jam made my whole mouth tingle. Finding myself in need of a beverage after a few spicy mouthfuls, I resteeped my puerh (third time) and poured a cup.

photo of puerh, leaves, and cracker


What a surprise to find that this tea has a very soothing, cooling effect on a burning tongue! Is this generally the case, or is it a trait of this particular puerh? Has anyone else out there paired a puerh with hot and spicy food, the kind that lights your mouth on fire and makes your ears itch?

Next time I make up a batch of extra-hot chile verde or enchilada sauce, I'll definitely have some puerhs lined up, ready to compare tongue-cooling ability. :)


Note for any Seattle-area readers: the jam is "Guadalupe Pepper Jam, extra hot," by Hermitage Pantry of Duvall, WA. I get mine at the Redmond Saturday Market.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Thanks for putting a link to my blog! Ironically, I just moved to the Midwest from NM - Rio Rancho. Where did you move from? I special order green chile sauce!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Cindy W. said...

I moved to Washington from Las Cruces in 2000, although it doesn't seem like that long ago. I still have dreams about roasting green chiles every fall.

I special order green chiles, salsa, even spices -- it's tough to get anything with heat out here in the northwest!

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home