Cup of Tea and a Blog

Welcome to my spot for musing about all things tea. Here you'll read reviews of quality teas, click through comments on tea rooms and shops I've visited, and see photos of leaves and cups. You’ll also find things I might talk about over a cup of tea, like philosophy, literature, current events, or fun ways to pass the time.

Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, United States

Please see my current blog at http://www.meltingteapot.com

05 June 2005

Review: Crumpet Shop, Seattle

The Crumpet Shop is quite popular with downtown Seattle-ites. I love crumpets and have been wanting to stop by there, so. . . using the excuse of updating my guide to tea spots in Seattle. . . today I grabbed my husband and we headed to Pike Place Market.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but what I got was great food at a fun and casual order-at-the-counter cafe. The area is always filled with the energy of the market, and the Crumpet Shop has the characteristic friendly bustle of the city.

The Tea: You can choose from a selection of loose leaf teas, or get one of about six all-you-can-drink “fast teas” that are pre-made, sitting in carafes on the counter. For less than $1.50, you’ll be given a mug to use while you’re there, and then you can get a to-go cup to take more with you. On a cold and drizzly day, when you need to warm yourself up and keep the damp away, you can’t get much better than this. We went with the quick tea today, but next time I’ll give one of their other prepared-to-order teas a try.

THE CRUMPETS!: The fast-tea is just an okay cup of tea, but the crumpets (ooooooooh, the crumpets) are really why you're there. These particular crumpets are made on-site, and you can buy packages to take home or get one with toppings to eat there. Now, recognize that I haven’t been to England (yet), but these are the best crumpets I’ve ever had. They are nearly an inch high, and somehow light yet substantial at the same time. If you have time for a quick bite to eat, then by all means get one of their specialty crumpets – they’re topped with everything from bacon and eggs to more traditional jams and nutella. The smoked salmon spread, with sliced cucumber on top, is fabulous.

I can’t wait to go back for a visit, and I suspect that this may become a regular trek into the city for me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Knitty Cat said...

Sounds lovely! I used to live in Bremerton. I wish I had been old enough to appreciate it (I was 5).
Anyway, do they mail order?

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo, if they do mail order, that would be so great! I loved that place when I lived in Seattle. We used to go there just for the crumpets. Such fond memories. I posted about it on my blog but I couldn't remember the name of the place. Thank you so much for this post!!!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Cindy W. said...

I'm not sure if they mail order or not but will check on it next time I'm there (probably a week or two). :)

5:43 PM  
Blogger Cindy W. said...

The standard answer to this is that any month can be rainy in Seattle. :)

However, there are times that you're more likely to see the mountains and get crystal clear blue skies. Generally, mid-July to mid-October feature the sunniest and driest days. There's less rain and fewer clouds (although by mid-September the mornings can be foggy). The rainiest time of the year is winter -- from about Thanksgiving through Febuary, things can be pretty wet. Of course, winter is also the best time to experience the forests (the ferns and mosses all unfurl and grow).

I should point out, for visiting golfers and other outdoor enthusiasts, that the rain here is very soft and subtle. It's not like the deluges you can get in the Rockies or the midwest. We also do see the sun most days (the classic weather forecast here is "cloudy with sunbreaks"). So, even when it's gray and rainy, you'll find the locals out golfing and hiking, usually without an umbrella. Umbrellas are for tourists!

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! A quick answer to the question of mail order (I'm one of the crumpet bakers at the crumpet shop), unfortunately the answer is no, we do not do mail orders or ship. The reason for this is that we do not put preservatives of any kind in our crumpets, so they wouldn't really survive. Hope this helps. Besides, if you come and visit us (in the morning usually), you can watch us make the crumpets!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just for the record, I was born and raised in England. I can tell you that the crumpets made here are first rate and would make any englishman proud.

A fresh crumpet from here is better than most you'll purchase in England. They have nailed it and I am constantly looking for excuses to go to Seattle just to go to this establishment.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home