Cup of Tea and a Blog

Welcome to my spot for musing about all things tea. Here you'll read reviews of quality teas, click through comments on tea rooms and shops I've visited, and see photos of leaves and cups. You’ll also find things I might talk about over a cup of tea, like philosophy, literature, current events, or fun ways to pass the time.

Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, United States

Please see my current blog at http://www.meltingteapot.com

21 April 2005

Tea Trip: Portland, Oregon

This past weekend I had a great time on a tea trip to Portland, Oregon. I’ve only been to Portland once before and had never really explored the city. After a 3-hour rainy drive, I stopped by for tea at the home of a teamail acquaintance, then headed to the Heathman Hotel downtown. The small rooms are nice and cozy – just what I wanted on a rainy evening. Downstairs they have evening jazz and small plates in The Tea Lounge (which has a full tea service on Saturday afternoons). The rooms have Russell-Hobbsish kettles and nice cups/saucers. Next to each bed is a platter with the fixings for an herbal tisane (mint – chamomile). I didn't know until just now when I did a quick google search for the hotel, but apparently I stayed in a supposed haunted room (one that ended in 03). I don't remember anything funky happening, though (bummer!). :)

I spent the evening walking around and exploring – found one geocache and spent some time at Powell’s Used Book Store (which is interestingly set up a lot like its web site). Thanks to Marilyn, I knew that the Portland Farmer’s Market had started early this year, so the next morning I had a great time buying radishes, fancy breads, and big, leafy lettuces. Next stop, the Saturday Market, a uniquely Portland experience. Great fun, but the final stop was the reason for my visit – a Northwest Gathering of Teamailers at the Tao of Tea.

It was wonderful meeting a great group of tea lovers. I think that the Tao of Tea in Portland is one of my favorite-ever tea rooms, in part because of the great tea and food, but also because of the wonderful company. Each tea is served in the appropriate pot and/or cup, making every person's experience just a little different. The food is all vegetarian, and there are some incredible desserts.

CW

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew K. Petty said...

I can't go to Portland without a stop at the Tao of Tea. I love the teapots but for some reason every time I go there they serve the tea differently. The last time I had a pot black Nilgiri but I had to let it oversteep since I had only a small cup to pour it into. By the time I got done it was not very good

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home