Cup of Tea and a Blog

Welcome to my spot for musing about all things tea. Here you'll read reviews of quality teas, click through comments on tea rooms and shops I've visited, and see photos of leaves and cups. You’ll also find things I might talk about over a cup of tea, like philosophy, literature, current events, or fun ways to pass the time.

Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, United States

Please see my current blog at http://www.meltingteapot.com

19 April 2005

Review: Teasource's Golden Downey Tip Yunnan

I first tried this tea about a month ago, and here is what I then posted to Teamail:

The leaves for the tea look quite delicate, but they really aren't. I think that's my reaction to this tea -- I expect it to be delicate, almost weak, then it isn't. There is a definite earthiness that you smell and taste on the roof of your mouth, but there is no "muddy" followup. I think [Holly is] right in describing this as a clean earth taste. For me, it's has the qualities I want in a nice afternoon/evening tea -- very refreshing and not heavy.

I’m returning to this tea for the first time, and it is indeed a good afternoon tea. I’m finding it smokier than a I remembered (perhaps because I used a lower temp of water?) and am enjoying that sensation. I miss the cocoa overtones of other yunnans, but this does have a peppery finish.

It’s hard to sip the Golden Downey Tip with a gaiwan, and I am wishing I used a Chatsford to brew it instead (as I did the first time). The leaves are young and tightly furled, almost “needle-ey,” and this means they slip out of the cup and into my mouth when I sip. Next time I’ll use to the Chatsford.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home