Cup of Tea and a Blog

Welcome to my spot for musing about all things tea. Here you'll read reviews of quality teas, click through comments on tea rooms and shops I've visited, and see photos of leaves and cups. You’ll also find things I might talk about over a cup of tea, like philosophy, literature, current events, or fun ways to pass the time.

Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, United States

Please see my current blog at http://www.meltingteapot.com

05 May 2005

Dorothy Parker & Tea

Penelope

In the pathway of the sun,
In the footsteps of the breeze,
Where the world and sky are one,
He shall ride the silver seas,
He shall cut the glittering wave.
I shall sit at home, and rock;
Rise, to heed a neighbor's knock;
Brew my tea, and snip my thread;
Bleach the linen for my bed.
They will call him brave.


(make sure you add a wry little twist of sarcasm to that last line)



Other Works Featuring Tea
Afternoon: It reveals my middle-aged-ness, but I like this voice of a person on the verge of aging. It's a bit more reassuring than the Prufrock take on the process; perhaps that's the wry nature of Parker's poetry. It is interesting to note that each of these poems relate tea with aging (now that's something to ponder as my roots turn grey).

The Last Tea: a short story.

This excerpt from Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin, by Marion Mead, tells a great story about Parker being fired over tea and scones at the Plaza Hotel Tea Court.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for these links. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the poems and the stories. I've always liked Dorothy Parker. Such a sassy girl.

3:54 PM  
Blogger David said...

Follwed Christine here...

Dorothy Parker's always a good read. "Afternoon"--I'd somehow missed that before. Thanks for the link.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home